PolifrogBlog

There is no free in liberty.


.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Episode 125, The Inner Light





I just finished watching an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Too many hours were lost to this show during my college years. I look back at all the other more enriching opportunities I could have chosen over watching TV and wince. I have to admit, though, that a few of those hours were worth the cost.

The Inner Light was one of most moving episodes I have seen and has managed to stick with me over the years. I consider it my favorite. A little bing-fu indicates I am not alone in this. Like negative space in paintings, moments of silence can reveal volumes of information. Silence was used well, as was time, family, and simple human relationships within a dieing society that only wished to be remembered. During his virtual time on Kataan, Picard as Kamin lived a full life including fathering two children, research, and learning to play a flute. Once back on the Enterprise the flute became the only tangible evidence of a virtual life he come to accept and love.





out

No comments:

Post a Comment