PolifrogBlog

There is no free in liberty.


.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Census 2010

I was an enumerator in 1990. I found the experience an interesting exposure to government waste. Although the census is done to count people, the questions I was required to ask were far more intrusive than I had expected. If fact, I was often uncomfortable asking for information of such personal nature. The constitution calls for a counting only.

My experience with the individuals I questioned was enlightening as well. In not one case was I denied the information I requested and in no case was my knock on the door unexpected. Often the folks I questioned were illiterate and and expecting me expecting me for that reason. I had never seen illiteracy face to face before and they could not hide behind an assumption of literacy. I could feel their embarrassment. Lastly if an individual refused to answer I was expected to make a guess. I found that last bit interesting, but the information was often in plane sight.

There have been some changes since then. The questions have become even more intrusive. I was not fingerprinted in 1990 nor do I recall the need for a background check. Fingerprinting as well as background checks are required for today's enumerators. Why? Although, I would be willing to allow a background check I would not take a job in in which my employer treated me like a criminal before so much as hiring me.

Lastly I find this guy interesting...






out

No comments:

Post a Comment