PolifrogBlog

There is no free in liberty.


.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Spong Coffee Mill Grinder and Principessa Lavazza Moka Coffee Maker (Updated With Definitive Pictures of the Elusive Spong 0 and Spong 5)

The first Spong grinder I saw was my grandfather's. At the time I thought nothing of it as I had no interest in coffee and being young the world was just what it was. Very little could be called special at that age. Things change and years later I found myself living in my grandfather's house after his passing, his Spong coffee grinder still mounted to same wall in the kitchen.





First off,I am not a connoisseur in or of anything, but well made tools, and both my Spong coffee mill and Principessa Lavassa coffee maker apply.


I had learned to enjoy coffee during college. It began as a way to pull all-nighters and after I taught myself not to drink to the point of dizziness and nausea during the exams the next day, I began to find a certain joy in the stuff. Eventually I honed in on Yuban as an excellent choice for the price, but never enjoyed the borrowed Mr. Coffee's I brewed it in. Years went by like this; one borrowed coffee maker after another punctuated with the occasional perfect cups like the ones I enjoyed during visits with my very German Aunt and Uncle.


Once I was settled in at my grandfather's house after his death his Victorian era Spong coffee grinder caught my interest. It was clearly a well made chunk of cast iron that suited my grandfather's tastes. On the back side it had an adjustment to control the coarseness of the grounds. I left that as it was, as my grandfather had often commented that it was set just right. During grinding the grounds were caught in small tin that could be used as a lid to keep dust out of the hopper when not otherwise in use. Unfortunately for most people these are often lost with time. Lastly it can be mounted either on a wall or the edge of a table. I left my grandfather's Spong number 2 behind when I moved into my own home and replaced it with a Spong number 1 of my own. (pictured to the left, chair in the background)

Here is a history of the Spong company and family. Spong and Co. began building their coffee grinders in the 1880's and stopped in the 1980's. 100 years, not too shabby. They made 6 sizes: 0,1,2,3,4 and 5. Most of them are number 2's. Sizes 1 and 4 are shown next to one another in the pic to the left. Size 0 seems to be the rarest and the only picture I have found of one is to the right. The 5's too are rather elusive.  They can be recognized not only by their size but by their double mounting brackets as well as the embossed 5 on the back. (Spong 5 info - updated 8/26/13 photos below in update 3)

After experimenting with a variety of coffees through the Spong I settled on 8 o'clock coffee from Food Lion. It could be bought inexpensively as an unflavored bean. I had already found flavored coffee's unappealing. Brewing, though, was still not up to the quality I wanted, as I was still in the world of drip coffee makers.

Enter ebay. One coffee maker that caught my eye was a percolator type by Pyrex. I recalled my mother percolating coffee while camping, so it had an immediate appeal to me. It was all glass with the exception of the aluminum basket that held the grounds, and was very cool to watch in action. Early in the brewing process brewed coffee would visibly drip like brown food coloring into the fresh water below. Fun for the kids. Unfortunately, I never could get consistent coffee from the thing. There were simply too many variables.

Another problem was the exploding issue. Twice I entered the kitchen to find the glass lid on the floor amid coffee grounds and water everywhere. After a little google exploring I learned something I didn't know and would have never expected. Under certain circumstances water can super heat. Temperatures of the water can rise well above 212 degrees without boiling then flash to steam with a touch. This usually happens in microwaves. The person watches the cup in the microwave as the clock ticks down but no boiling occurs. They reach in to pull the cup out causing the water to flash to steam and getting burned.

The cause came down to two things in my case. The first was the super pure well water my grandfather routinely bragged about, and the second was that my faucet did not aerate the water as it poured, but instead gave a smooth clear stream. Apparently dissolved particles aid in the boiling of water. In the absence of that particulate matter the aeration of the water will suffice. I had neither. There is a downside to truly pure water. Heh!

Not long afterward I stumbled on a Moka pot that my stepfather, a Swiss chef, owned. Being introduced to this type of coffee maker I began searching ebay for other examples. Most of them were aluminum while the nicer ones where stainless. After purchasing an aluminum one I kept an eye out for an all stainless model.

One that I hadn't seen before eventually popped up. A Principessa made by Lavazza. Lavazza is a coffee company in Italy. I bid on it and won it at around $20. Once it arrived, and I had it in hand, the quality was evident. Even empty it had heft. The threads where the two halves screwed together were machined, not pressed sheet metal. The lid was solid and did not shimmy on the hinge. It was even pimped out with the gold package, not normally to my taste, but somehow attractive. Sweet.

Brewing, also, was sweet. Simply fill to the pressure relief valve on the side. Fill the filter basket "funnel" with fresh Spong ground coffee. Then put it over a low flame and wait for the tell tale gurgle as the lower basin was emptied of fresh water and the upper coffee pot was filled with freshly brewed coffee. The only variable was in the coffee used and how much it was packed into the filter.

Sweet consistency.


Update:

An excellent post positively swimming with Spong details and comparisons to European competitors (and others) can be found at Home-Barista.com.

a pull:

Disassembling the Spong
They only have two moving parts and counting the handle only four parts, plus the adjusting screw, altogether. (The funnel does come off, but no need to do that, ever, unless you're painting it.) The No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 Spongs have four machine screws around the periphery which are removed after first removing the handle. The No. 1 has two screws. Use a LARGE screw driver. The screws, while large, are soft. Also at this time, loosen the adjusting screw so when you reassemble, it will not be putting any pressure on the burrs.

Update 2:

First off, a hugh thanks to Patrick from Ireland for emailing me the pics below from which we can conclude that the spong zero does, indeed,  exist.  We can also conclude the pic above is actually of a spong zero as was claimed by the individual I "borrowed" it from.  Unfortunately there was no picture of the back of it to confirm the "0" designation.  That is obviously not the case for the series of pictures below.

It has taken me years to get these pics.  Thanks again, Patrick.


















Update 3:

A big thanks to Andy in the comments below.  There is now another size to add to your collection, 5.  I had no idea it even existed, nor had I thought to look.  Andy, however, not only brought to my attention that there existed a Spong 5, but made public photos of his find over at Home-Barista.

Don't you just love the painted warning label and double table mounts...













Thanks Andy...




out

61 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your blog. I just snagged my parents Spong grinder. Must be a 3 or 4. They might of bought it used or new in the mid 70's when living in Cornwall, England. There is something about hearing the coffee grinding in the morning. We always knew dad just got up.
    I thought you might like to check out the Chemex coffee maker. My parents swore by it as so do we. Paired with the Spong grinder you might have your best cup of coffee ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I also enjoyed your blog. Especially because I also have a Lavazza Princepessa Moka.

    Perhaps you can help me. I bought mine at a fleemarket very cheap, but the funnel filter insert was missing. So now I need to find one. Do you know where I can purchase one? I have looked all over the internet but with no luck.

    Do you have any ideas?

    Best regard

    Malene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outside of watching Ebay including the ones across Europe, I have no suggestions.

    You may get lucky and find one from another pot maker, but it would likely be aluminum.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to read this post because I am a coffee lover and learning this kind new stuff is an achievement for me. I really learn a lot from this post. I will be visiting this blog again for more post like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice...Brilliant, now, help me please find an original tray for a spong No'0'I have just acquired a 'London' casting in very nice nick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the "1's" and "2's" are the same size. Perhaps the trey for your "0" is the same as a "1".

    Can you e-mail a photo of the front and a photo of the back to the e-mail address near the top of the page? (polifrog at polifrog dot com)

    Pics of the "0" are difficult to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Normski; well done on finding the "0". I've been looking for one for a while now; if you tire of it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I happen to own one and may be interested to sell… let me know if you’re interested chris

      Delete
  8. I found a 0 recently in an old house that we bought and are renovating. very exciting!! didnt even know hat it was at first. how much you think they are worth to sell?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know off hand, I'd love to post a picture, though.

    frogstarjgw at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a #0 if anyone is keen patrick@newmangreene.ie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I've just gotten a Principessa and would like to find out if the rubber seal, on the top portion, could be replaced? I saw yours is white while mine is stained brown.

    Please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Measure the dimensions so you know how big it is. Being standardized there is no need to refer to the pot's maker.

      I like this place.

      Amazon and Ebay have them too. Look under Moka coffee pot, or Moka gasket, Or Italian coffee pot/gasket. Even coffee gasket.

      Being that Bialetti is ubiquitous it might be worth learning which Bialetti it crosses over with.

      If you find out let us know in a comment.

      Good luck.


      Delete
  12. spongspongspong spong spongy spong wonderful spong.

    easy to open up and clean and seem to last forever.
    just sold my tiny kid burr electric grinders now have 3 spong.
    you can really taste the difference.
    yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spong made six cast iron coffee millsd, the #5 being the largest and weighing in at 9.3 kilos with two bench mount clamps.
    rgds
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks!!

    I have never seen one, nor have I seen photos of one until being prompted by your comment to search for such.

    I quickly discovered some photos of one at home-barrista.

    You?

    Regardless, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just noticed the "Andy" in both the comment here and the comment at home-barrista.

    So, thank you Andy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andy,

    If you happen to return can you tell mt the size of the Spong next to your Spong 5?

    It seems to be a Spong without Spong identification. I have one of those (Size 2) and was curious if you knew the history of these "generic" Spongs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i need money, so i want to sell my spong No 4.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It’s a one stop leading edge service that connects suppliers, equipment providers, business owners and displays individual professional profiles. This targeted platform is an effortless way for everyone in the industry to share and keep abreast of the ever changing trends and fresh ideas that can translate directly into great business strategies. We are serving in Hospitality Agency, Coffee grinder, Kitchen Staf, Australian Hospitality Directory, Hospitality dirctory list, hospitality companies and Hospitality Suppliers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wet mill coffee : Best manufacture of standard dry mill coffee processing machinery, coffee processing equipment. Visit Jacrey.com coffee processing dry and wet mill machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing a details overview about Spong Coffee Grinder and Lavazza Coffee Maker.Love to read the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have a 5. We picked it up on a council clean up as the owner was putting it in front of his house to throw out. it is in good working order, just some rust. We don't know how much it is worth. Can someone please give us a clue?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! I like review of this blog. Thanks or sharing.
    visit the website

    ReplyDelete
  24. A coffee maker is indeed a necessity for those who cannot go a day without the usual cup of coffee that they need to keep them going. When buying coffee outside has taken its toll and you want to enjoy the cup in the comforts of your own home, then buying a coffee maker. But before you make the purchase, here are some questions that you should ask yourself. These questions will guide you into finding the perfect coffee maker for you.

    Just click here for knowing more information best coffee grinders

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. Check out the single serve coffee makers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello all, from beautiful Cape Town. I have been given a Spong #4. The table clamp is broken.

    Could some kind soul please send a few close-up images of the clamp please especially that part at the joint?

    ReplyDelete
  27. A proverb goes "Morning shows the day". But I can't imagine my day without have a cup of coffee and I love to make variation in my coffee taste. So, I was on googling and found this outstanding presentation. It's surely a new experience for me. I like the way your depicted the Spong coffee mill grinder here. All the images and explanation stacked on this page incredibly excellent. Love your great job. BTW I would like share a relevant Coffee grinders hoping that it may be helpful for the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi. Great blog,a lot of information.
    I have 0, 1, 2 and 3 of the Spongs. Can’t find anywhere no 4. 5 is a dream. Can anyone give me a clue where to find them?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. https://blackfridaysalez.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. mercadona

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for this fascinating post, I am happy I observed this website on Google. Not just content, in fact, the whole site is fantastic. coffee maker with grinder

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please share more like that.
    will help you more:
    Are you worried about choosing espresso machine? Takeaway allthoughts from your mind. Truly, you have entered the right place. Buying the safest and best best espresso machine takes time as it needs you to have the right information to make the right decision. which are the best coffee grinder in the Market? With our extensive research and buying guide here, choosing the right one coffee machine will be easy for you.
    coffee grinder

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can speak from past experiences when selling coffee machines that prepare "real bean" espresso based coffees to businesses in the food and drink sector. coffee grinder

    ReplyDelete
  34. The author has gone through so much thinking and research for writing this article. Thank you for sharing this great article with us. This blog is worth to read. Keep sharing this kind of post in the future. I’m also an author. So if you have time, I invite you to have a look at my site vitrarange.com
    Have a nice day!

    Best Guanabana Benefits for Cancer which Vitamin C Superfruit

    ReplyDelete
  35. Even in a future where we can replicate to the atomic level actual coffee, real coffee will always taste better. I know this because of Star Trek, so it must be true.
    best coffee maker

    ReplyDelete
  36. Moda fitness feminine


    Even in a future where we can replicate to the atomic level actual coffee, real coffee will always taste better. I know this because of Star Trek, so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: cappuccino machine

    ReplyDelete
  38. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! which is the best keurig coffee

    ReplyDelete
  39. bästa espressomaskin I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Commercial espresso machines

    ReplyDelete
  41. Scientists believe that CBD probably works by starving cancer cells of energy, making them more sensitive to the body's immune response, and by blocking a newly discovered cannabinoid-related cancer pathway. cbd World Online keywords

    ReplyDelete
  42. With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, nespresso products

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job! what is the best new coffee maker

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. best flavored coffee

    ReplyDelete
  45. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Best places Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was able to try their new online course as well. It is indeed very convenient and their lessons about brand naming were very insightful! Definitely worth every penny. check it out

    ReplyDelete
  47. I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.Thanks. Buy coffee beans online

    ReplyDelete
  48. Against: You can only make one type of coffee - no espressos, lattes or cappuccinos. Filter coffee flavoured with syrups are not to everyone's taste. gaggia anima prestige

    ReplyDelete
  49. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. how many kratom capsules to get high

    ReplyDelete
  50. First You got a great blog .I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics, i will be always checking your blog thanks. Atomic Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  51. Regular visits listed here are the easiest method to appreciate your energy, which is why why I am going to the website everyday, searching for new, interesting info. Many, thank you! 聊天

    ReplyDelete
  52. Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. 婚姻介紹

    ReplyDelete
  53. On quiet Lawton Street in the Outer Sunset lies Andytown Coffee Roasters, known for their Snowy Plover iced expresso drink. Portland Food Carts

    ReplyDelete
  54. The proteins in animal milk also bind to the staining properties in coffee to then carry them to the stomach where they can be broken down. Coffee Basics

    ReplyDelete
  55. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. forbasis

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks View more

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hello , I have a number 0 .
    Is there any way to find an approx date of manufacture ?

    ReplyDelete
  58. I have a Spong No 0 coffee grinder. My mother collected coffee grinders and I came across it…. Thanks for the blog. I wasn’t sure what kind of grinder it was. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete