The NSA itself says that it’s in the middle of a massive cyber war. As such, malware, physical spying devices and offensive internet workarounds are literally the main troops in the NSA’s offensive cyber army.
Similarly, mass NSA spying means that modern day Americans have:
- Quartering meant that Colonial Americans had:
- No control over when the British troops came and went
- No say in what resources they consumed
- And no privacy even in their own castles
Colonial Americans lost the quiet use and enjoyment of their homes. Modern Americans are losing the quiet use and enjoyment of our digital homes because the NSA is stationing digital “troops” inside our computers and phones.
- No control over when military presence comes or goes from our computer and phones (NSA is part of the Department of Defense)
- No say in what resources the spies suck up (remember, Applebaum says that spying can use a lot of resources and harm performance)
- And no privacy even in the deepest inner sanctuary of our electronic home base
Just as the Colonists’ homes were no longer theirs … our computers and phones are no longer ours.