PolifrogBlog

There is no free in liberty.


.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

99 Sienna O2 sensor change (all 1mzfe engines)

polifrog

Temporary Note for the month of October:  If you find the post below useful please consider purchasing a round of popcorn from the link above for yourself , for the scouts and my son who's idea it was to put this on polifrog. 
Thanks 
-----------------------



This summer we left our home in Eden for Charlotte. There we stayed with my father for a couple of days before our trip "out west" was to begin. We did this for a couple of reasons. First we felt it was wise to have a trial run before the trip and second I had a the couple of things to complete on the camper.

The trip began at around 7PM after 5:oo traffic had died down. We were 15 minutes into the trip when the check-engine light flashed on. I considered ignoring it as the light generally only indicates an emissions issue. My father had an OB2 scanner back home, though, so we turned around to take advantage of the tool. Ultimately knowing what was wrong would ease my mind.

With the OB2 scanner in hand I was able to divine just what the check-engine light was complaining about. It read O2 sensor 1, bank 1.

I found this service bulletin from Toyota concerning which bank is 1 and which is 2.

After a little research I found that bank 2 was next to the bumper and that bank 1 was next to the firewall. Sigh. That would make the O2 sensor difficult to get to and much more likely that I would ignore it. Later the repair confirmed that bank 1 was near the firewall, as that is the O2 sensor that I replaced and after which the 'check engine' light stayed off.

Again, we left my dad's house on the start of a two month road trip, only this time we had the OB2 scanner with us and a permanently illuminated check-engine light. The light remained on until today.

The fix...



I put the Sienna on ramps to get under it. Once under it I was able to get my first visual on the O2 sensor. It was located near the rear part of the engine cradle and with the various power steering lines, power steering rack, exhaust, and driver's half shaft it was difficult to reach. I found it even more difficult to uncouple the lead to the sensor as it was just outside my reach with my arm wedged between the engine cradle and transmission.





After failing to disconnect the lead from underneath I attempted it from above. At first glance this seemed impossible, but I found a hole to the right of the intake plenum that allowed access to the connector. After familiarizing myself with another similar more accessible connector on the A/C dryer I was able to disconnect the O2 sensor with one hand from above the engine. This was done entirely by touch as I had no way to see the connector from above.



Now, all that remained was to remove the sensor. I got back under the Sienna and found that my O2 sensor socket was useless due to the O2 sensor's tight living quarters. I relaxed on the driveway looking up at the sensor wondering what to do when it dawned on me that an open ended wrench (spanner) would work just fine. Simple. Sometimes I'm slow.



Assembly was the reverse with the only difficulty being, once again, the connector. I found that I could hold both ends of the O2 connector in my left hand after reaching it from above as before. With a little fiddling I was able correctly position the two ends of the connector and get an audible click once they were fully engaged.

Job done.


Update 1:
I purchased the replacement O2 sensor off of Ebay for around $30. Original but used. New ones can be quite expensive....I rolled the dice on this purchase, but it worked out for me. Others may not be so lucky.



Update 2:
From the comments below

I just finished replacing the front (2) O2 sensors on my '99 Toyota Sienna. Here is some useful info for anyone who comes across this while googling.

Bank 1, Sensor 1(back of the engine, by the firewall):
Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-41021
Denso equivalent part number for this sensor is: 234-9007


Bank 2, Sensor 1(front, by the radiator):
Old Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-48010
New (improved) Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-48011
Denso equivalent part number for this sensor is: 234-9009

(These sensors) are OEM, exact match sensors. While cheaper universal O2 sensors may work, they are not guaranteed to clear your check engine codes.


Update 3: (California Models)
From the comments below:

Here's one tip from my end. Find out whether your car is california model or 49-state model. Their sensors are NOT the same. If you don't know, easiest thing is to open up the hood, take a look of that front sensor, copy down its toyota part number and do denso cross reference. Here's one you can use:

http://www.benitomo.com/CATALOGOS/Denso/2008_DENSO_O2_Catalog_-_Cross_Reference.pdf


If you have a 49-state 2000 Sienna, here's denso sensors that fits perfectly:

front ones(before cat, need 2) - denso 234-4622

rear(after cat) - denso 234-4623

I ordered it from Amazon, best pricing and fast shipping.

Hope this helps.




out

23 comments:

  1. What year of you sienna ?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again. I got problem with bank 1 and sensor 1. Are you sure the bank 1 sensor 1 is located in front closed to radiator ?

    Thanks again.

    tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks very good infoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I got the same problem with my 99 sienna. Bank 2 Sensor 1, Code P0155. I am just wondering is it the one close to the firewall or the one close to the radiator. Because when I read your post, it seems to be the one close to the firewall, but when I read the comments, they sorta indicate it's the one near the radiator. Just want to confirm. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refer to the Toyota TSB linked to above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished replacing the front (2) O2 sensors on my '99 Toyota Sienna. Here is some useful info for anyone who comes across this while googling.

    Bank 1, Sensor 1(back of the engine, by the firewall):
    Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-41021
    Denso equivalent part number for this sensor is: 234-9007


    Bank 2, Sensor 1(front, by the radiator):
    Old Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-48010
    New (improved) Toyota / Lexus part number: 89467-48011
    Denso equivalent part number for this sensor is: 234-9009

    ReplyDelete
  7. Note: Those 2 O2 sensors I listed above are OEM, exact match sensors. While cheaper universal O2 sensors may work, they are not guaranteed to clear your check engine codes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the good info. It has been added to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a link on oxygen sensor removal for Sienna 2000. It seems an easier way to pull out bank 1 sensor 1 is to first disconnect it from under the seat. Any one tried that?

    "
    The rear sensors are easier to access than the actual sensor, but Toyota places the plug connection under the carpet beneath the front seats. This requires opening the door and then removing the bottom door trim panel with a screwdriver. Set aside and reach underneath the carpet and towards the floorboard and then under the seat to obtain the plug. Once disconnected there, return to the undercarriage and simply pull the rubber gasket plug out from the floor board of the Sienna. The gasket holds the wire in place and prevents water from getting into the floor of the cab.

    Read more: Best Way - Toyota Sienna Oxygen Sensor Removal | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5891100_toyota-sienna-oxygen-sensor-removal.html#ixzz0tYkLpm5y

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, but that ehow description targets the O2 sensors toward the middle of the van rather than the ones toward the front.

    The ones toward the front of the vehicle come in two flavors. One at the front of the engine (between the engine and the radiator) and one at the rear of the engine (between the engine and the firewall). Unfortunately there is no access to this O2 sensor through the floor.

    The ehow post above addresses O2 sensors farther back along the exhaust pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I crawled under the car tonight and realized the error you pointed out.

    I unhooked the connector from below using my left hand. I sprayed some liquid wrench on the sensor nut. I will try to remove it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet!

    I hope you don't live in the north. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in the SF Bay Area.

    I warmed up the engine and took out the sensor. It was easy to get it loosened in the beginning but the going got harder. I did a lot of back-tracking added more lubrication etc. In the end, part of the tread on the old sensor is damaged.

    The manifold side seems not as bad. So I put on the new sensor anyway. Oops! the sensor picked up by the Kragen guy is of the wrong type! I had to take it off, dust off my bicycle and get it exchanged. The right part number should be 15217.

    Now it is in. The check engine light has been off for 10 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... you da man for posting this! Thanks. I will post my comments once I get mine replaced. (oh, sounds like replacing bank one of spark plugs! lucky if they are replaced with iradium (sp?), it only needs to be redone once!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for posting the how to guide. It made my job so much easier because you gave me a sneak preview on what to expect and tools needed as well as placed on top and btm of the engine to snake my arms into to reach the sensor. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very much for posting the instruction. It would have been a much longer job for the firewall sensor if it wasn't for your tips 'bout going from front. It also helped to have someone under the car that can give visual guidance to connect plug.

    Here's one tip from my end. Find out whether your car is california model or 49-state model. Their sensors are NOT the same. If you don't know, easiest thing is to open up the hood, take a look of that front sensor, copy down its toyota part number and do denso cross reference. Here's one you can use:

    http://www.benitomo.com/CATALOGOS/Denso/2008_DENSO_O2_Catalog_-_Cross_Reference.pdf


    If you have a 49-state 2000 Sienna, here's denso sensors that fits perfectly:

    front ones(before cat, need 2) - denso 234-4622

    rear(after cat) - denso 234-4623

    I ordered it from Amazon, best pricing and fast shipping.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tips. I bet alot of people there are still confused about the locations of the O2 sensors.
    I thought it'd be nice to test the sensor using the voltmeter before replacing it. So I tested the voltage B2S1 on 98 Sienna(near the radiator)with the blue and white wires terminals, it had no voltage even at warm-up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent! Nice verification on the OBD2.

    ReplyDelete
  19. By the way I had a code P1135, also for a while I had P1141 I think, forgot what bank and sensor it was showing on the scanner, but I think it was Bank 1 Sensor 2, which ended up as the one behind firewall. Car mileage is around 110K miles.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just had to replace the oxygen sensor on a 2001 Toyota Sienna. And yes, it was the one on the firewall side, it was quite a pain in the rear, but here is how to do it. Jack up the left side of the car only(looking from the front), you then can put your left hand hand in from under the car near the front tire where the front axle goes into the transmission. Get in there and press the little plastic piece on the connector with your fingers and hold it down, then with the right hand go from under the car(you can just barely fit your fingers between) between all the tubes and just pull on the wire toward the bottom of the car. That got the connector out for me. Be careful not to yank the wires out, although they seem sturdy. Then turn on the car, run about 5 minutes at idle, then turn off. Then again get under the car, and through the same opening as before put in a 22mm flare nut wrench, that is what I used(the socket ones from auto zone were useless, as I could not get enough leverage). Spray some WD40 on there to make it loosen up. Use the flare nut wrench and also use something else to put in the other side of the wrench for more leverage. I used the handle of a large socket wrench, which fit in there nicely. Then just pull hard on the end of whatever you used to increase the leverage. Try to tighten first if it wont go at first, then try to loosen again. If still no go, warm up the car again for longer, and WD40 and try again. I got it off on 2nd try. Pain in the rear though, not much room to work. Installing the new part, reverse of removing old, use anti seize compound on threads. I used a Bosch oxygen sensor 13540, it's much cheaper on amazon.com ($115 as of 4/9/2011), then autozone $170+tax. Once you tighten, then you can plug in the connector(make sure to unwind it from being twisted when screwing in the sensor). Make sure you push it in good, so it's properly connected. As reference look at the sensor on the front of the exhaust manifold to see how far the connecting plug should go. Took me about 2 hours to figure it out, now would probably take 15min since I know how to go about it. Good luck to all attempting this not so easy repair, but it can be done, and save yourself $500 or so from getting ripped off at the dealer or mechanic. Check engine light went off for me after resetting codes with code scanner, so looks ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks. wish me luck as I attempt to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1998 Sienna Bank 1 Sensor 1 went out, took to dealer and they found $1800 dollars of repairs needed. I could buy another van with an extra $1000. Any way bought a obd computer to read codes and found that b1s1 was bad. dealer said b1s1 and another were bad at a tune of $600 to $700. IAC needed to be replace as well. put car on ramps from the past and could see the o2 sensor, found that a 7/8 comb wrench fit pretty good and went for it. disconnected from top just behind thottle body and reconnected from same spot, much harder to reconnect with one hand. thx for the details above. ps i believe toyota loosen the o2 sensor 1st, it was too loose

    ReplyDelete